Well another game that we have come very close to winning. Yesterday was a very good effort in the weather and ground conditions. It's a game I thought we had a number of scoring opportunities in both havles but were unable to make the final pass to put us over the line.
Last week I wasn't happy with our preparation and as as a result I wasn't expecting too much at the weekend as our lead up to the game had far too many interuptions.
Our opposition we played were huge!!!! and before the game I was really concerned for your safety especially in the conditions we were going to play in. It's not too often I get concerned about the size of the opposition. But there were a few players who made Pups look small.
In the tight I believed we out played them - protection of the ball was good and as a result we were able to put a number of phases together. The tackling in close was solid and the motivation to retain and gain possesion in rucks and mauls was good - you were hungry for the ball.
The loose trio of Gareth, Willy & Boy were always amongst things and were well suppotrted by the tight forwards.
Over the next two games I would like us to learn to run off Piri - & Nathan. We practice this often - However, I rarely see this in the game, yesterdays conditions would have suited this type of attack. Will continue to persist. Lineouts - were good However, I get concerned with the tap backs. Tap backs are dangerous if it isn't controlled and should never be attempted inside our own 22.
In the backs we were positive with solid games from everyone especially in the conditions. Back 3 of wings & fullback must continue working together on defence and attack. On defense we are starting to back up and cover. Need to learn to counter attack from defensive positions. On attack we need to create more numbers and learn to run straighter lines. Inside work from Tim and Waldo is improving and will only get better over the last half of the season.
This morning I read this from the word for the day and it sums up how I feel we are going
Your breaking point can be the start of a breakthrough.
Ever heard of the expression "hitting the wall" ? Runners use it when they are exhausted and feel like giving up. But seasoned athletes know if they push through the pain they'll get their second wind and experience the runners high. So keep going - By Gods grace you'll make it.
Thats how I feel after yesterdays 3-0 win. We have been so close so many times and my final two games with you may be the games that turn our season around. So what are you goals for this weeks game against Putaruru & touring Irish team. What will you do to go the extra mile to improve your game? what will you sacrifice?
We will have 2 trainings before Putaruru on thursday - I look forward to seeing you all.
John Paul College
BubbleShare: Share photos - Powered by BubbleShare
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment